By Kathy Bazan, BRC Small Business Consultant
According to IBIS World, one of the most consistent predictors of market growth, the wedding services industry in the United States is expected to be $51,200,000,000 in 2021 with the industry expected to grow by 11% in 2021.
How can you make sales in this $51 Billion industry? The wedding services industry expanded from including florists, caterers, and musicians to including a vast array of businesses. Since many weddings were postponed from last year, wedding venues locally have booked their weekends completely and are now booking weekday weddings. In addition, weddings are now hybrids of a small group of people in person plus a larger, online streaming set of attendees. As a result, many engaged couples seek ways to make their weddings unique and memorable. Here are a few examples of how your business can make sales into this industry:
- Wedding programs: Graphic designers and print shops offer customized programs which are full of fun factoids: “Ann’s mom makes the best blueberry banana bread in Oregon” or “Our officiant, Pastor David, married the groom’s parents 30 years ago.” The program might include engagement photos or a map of where the couple has had adventures together. Since many weddings are outside, print a program which can also be used as a fan to keep cool during the ceremony! Check out Chamber member Infinity Impressions!
- Find an unusual venue: Since the Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden and the Victorian Belle Mansion are probably booked, check out other locations such as, Carriage House Lavender.
- Create wearable favors: As guests enter, let them pick up a boutonniere or hair clip made with fresh lavender from Carriage House Lavender!
- Connecting guests: In light of social distancing, fewer guests fit into a venue. For that reason, there is a boom in hiring audio/visual vendors Check out Nathan Holden at NVHolden Photography, a Tualatin Chamber member.
- Give the gift of knowledge: While you could give the happy couple another Pyrex casserole dish, why not give them a gift card from these Chamber members to get counseling on:
- Get financially organized: Matt Tabor, WestPac Wealth Partners
- Certified Leadership and Life Coach: Julie Sies, Exponential Functions, LLC
- How to qualify for a home loan: Doyle Dillon, Twin Rivers Mortgage
- Business coaching: Donna Capodacqua,, Chrysalis Partners
- Certified Career and Life Coach: Eric Howard, The Next Phase Coaching, LLC
As a small business consultant, I find niches in which you could capture market share. All of my services to you are confidential and at no cost to you. Reach me at email@example.com to set an appointment to talk.
“Wedding Services in the US – Market Size 2005–2027” Updated April 29, 2021 (ibisworld.com/industry-statistics/market-size/wedding-services-united-states/#:~:text=What%20is%20the%20market%20size,is%20%2451.2bn%20in%202021)