WASHINGTON COUNTY MUSEUM RECEIVES GRANTS FROM FIVE FOUNDATIONS TO FUND HISTORY EDUCATION PROGRAMS
Portland, Oregon, 12/28/17 – Washington County Museum is pleased to announce it has been awarded five grants totaling $34,000 to support its educational and community programs. The grants include the following:
- The Reser Family Foundation: $10,000 awarded to support the Museum’s Field Trips programs. Additional funding of $10,000 is approved for 2019.
- Oregon International Air Show: $5,000 awarded in support of the Free Family Mornings program.
- Herbert A. Templeton Foundation: $5,000 to fund Mobile Museum scholarships.
- Cultural Coalition of Washington County: $2,000 to fund Mobile Museum scholarships.
- The Judith and Edwin Cohen Foundation: $2,000 in support of the Crossroads Lecture series.
Touching History Mobile Museums take the museum into classrooms. Using artifacts from the museum’s collection, presenters demonstrate how the artifacts were used. Hands-on activities round out the program. During field trips, students also participate in hands-on activities after hearing a presentation. In addition, the museum exhibits complement their field trip. Free Family Mornings focused on hands-on activities connecting with a different theme each month, occur the second Saturday morning of the month, ten months a year. Crossroads Lectures are talks for the adult audience, focused on contemporary subjects.
“We are honored to have the support of these organizations who genuinely care about educating children and who want to ignite a passion for local history in future generations,” said Executive Director Pamela Vorachek. “All five of the foundations required a competitive application and review process; their partnership with Washington County Museum will allow us to expand the love of history within our community.”
About the Washington County Museum
For more than 50 years, the Washington County Museum has provided community members and visitors an opportunity to experience and understand the richness of our history, heritage and culture. The Washington County Museum on the Portland Community College Rock Creek Campus is open Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and on the second Saturday of every month. There is no admission fee though visitors are encouraged to leave a donation.